Wednesday, March 25, 2009

U-Blog 5

On Monday (March 23), our team conducted our training session in the computer lab of Heritage at Lowman Home. Our session was on the basics of OpenOffice.org Writer. The students attending were very cooperative and interested in what we had to present. The idea of our presentation of the information was more of a hands-on approach. In order to teach the basics of a word processor, we found it would be easier for them to learn through practice. We took these steps in presenting our material to the class:

1.) We had the class locate and open OpenOffice.org Writer on their desktop/Start menus.
2.) We had the students compile a basic document on their knowledge of computers. This ended up being about 2 or 3 sentences per person.
3.) We then taught the students how to Save their file in the 'My Documents' folder and give their document a unique name.
4.) The last step in this training session was to teach the students how to locate their document and open it back up for further editing.

All in all, our session went very smooth. The students were very cooperative and eager to learn. Although I enjoyed presenting our training session, I am happy to get it over with so I can focus more on the rest of my assignments.

2 comments:

  1. Great job. I'm really glad things went well for your group. I'm sure that the information you gave to the students was very helpful. I like the fact you did a good bit on hands on. I find the best way I learn is to get my hand dirty and jump in. I'm a very visual and hands on learner, and I find that I'm not along. Good job guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Doug, and i am also glad that your workshop was so successful. I also agree that the best way to learn is to get your hands dirty, and and do it hands on. We used the same game plan with our training session. By letting the Participates do the activities hands on they retain more of the information in my opinion. I agree with Doug that I also am an hands on learner. Glad everyone's training sessions went great.

    ReplyDelete